Hello friends of garden railroad log trains,
last weekend, we had a small family BBQ at my parents home and since my father started to reactivate our old garden railroad, I brought my Louise Valley Lumber Co. log trains to run some trains. After 4 years, this has been the first official trains on the loop part of the layout. My dad already rebuild the west side section. The east area will be done this summer. I run both Shays, the Bachmann with battery and sound, the Accucraft with live steam. Here were some photos and a short video. I hope you enjoy as I did =)
A few days ago, I got a heavy parcel from the laser cutting company. Inside were new pedestal covers and coupler links for my railroad.
I laid out the new pedestal covers on the work table and painted them black. I didn’t care about dirt and dust while painting the parts, so the finish will be slightly of a worn out look so match the 8 years old disconnect log trucks.
The original parts were cnc-milled from hardboard and most of them were broken. So it was time to replace them by steel parts.
It took me somewhat over an hour to replace the parts on all 12 disconnect trucks. Once finished, I put them to the two storage boxes I made some years ago. The old parts were scrapped.
Now, the disconnects are also finished and it’s time to start the next project. This will feature 4 new freight cars (build from the old ones) with detailed trucks and frames…
Work on riding car #2 continues – I pre-drilled the holes for the nail-rivets and started with the end sections. Once they were aligned and hold in place by two nails, I started to add the a nail to each hole. While the used nails were to long, I grinded them flush on the back side.
I bend the sheets around the corners and secured them with nails as well. Once the end sections were done, I added the side sheets, which overlap the end pieces. This creates the typical sheet joint.
Do you have an idea how many nails were used as rivets? Please leave a comment bellow….
Once the body was done, I installed the water tank and gave all a nice coat of black paint.
Last steps were lettering and details as usual. I also decided to add the new lettering to the riding car #1.
Let’s continue work on riding car #2. I installed bolsters for the trucks to the underside of the chassis and a 4mm plywood on top as floor. With the trucks mounted, I could determine the correct hight of the rear coupler. Once the chassis was done. I spend a coat of black paint before starting […]
Since I redesigned my steam locos, I decided it’s time to spend some attention to the riding cars behind as well. Both riding cars are equipped with a water tank and are used to ride behind the locomotives to operate them. I originally designed them as logging-based equipment. I had to replace the trucks on […]
Good morning, after a break of some days, I finished the log-bunks. As mentioned in the previous post, I added new spikes to the log-bunks from screws. Once the hight was adjusted, I cut off the screw-heads and grinded them flat. I decided to paint the chains and hooks, since the bright steel-look looked terrible […]
As a small interim project, I started work on the disconnects by improving the log bunks. I used springs on the secure-chains which were to soft and over stretched very fast. So I ordered stronger springs and replaced the old ones. The long chain section was also mounted directly to the log bunks which caused […]