the last week, I’ve build the weir for the water-wheel and added it to the canal. Since the time is running by very quick, I directly planted the trees to get the progress continue.
The next evening, I started with the bushes and grasses. It took some time to get the whole layout covered, but once I’m in the mood, it’s a relaxing and enjoyable work.
As on my other modules, I uses several foliage and grasses made by Woodland and Busch. So the new module matches perfectly to the rest of the layout.
another week has passed. I added the ballast to the tracks as well as basic green ground cover I use.
The ballast is spread out dry along the rails. I use a mixture of Noch model train ballast with sand and fine turfs. Once the ballast is done, I moisture everything with rubbing alcohol , which will crawl into the ballast, so the later added water/whiteglue-mixture will creep easier into the ballast.
At the turnout’s I use less ballast below the moving parts, to avoid mechanical issues. While the glue is setting, I test the movement of the turnout regularly.
While the glue on the ballast is still wet, I paint the landscape surrounding with water/whiteglue-mixture and add an earth-blend mixture of Woodland fine-turf as basic green groundcover. The fresh applied glue will also be sucked into the ballast and the applied turf will stick to the ballast sides as well. This creates a smooth and soft transition instead of a hard line.
Once everything is dry, I can start to install the sawmill with surrounding details.
See you next week 😉
another week has passed. Once the electrical stuff was done, I gave the rails an airbrush weathering and spend a light grey dry-brush to the sleepers.
To raise the hills, I glued some layers of foam (used for house insulation) to the layout and cut them to shape. I use a wire-brush in the power-drill, which makes fast progress, but a dirty mess.
Once the foam is in shape, I add plaster, which just started to set. I spread it with my fingers and “massage” the plaster into the foam and landscape. Once dry, the whole module get’s a coat with acrylic paint in earth-blend. Now the module is ready for ballast and scenery.
More to some next week.
Hi folks, I just got the “go” for the Exhibition in Sinsheim/Germany on March 9-11th. So it’s time to get some more progress done on the new module. I made a cut out to the module box just beside the sawmill to add the mill creek. I added strips of plywood to gain some depth […]
Hello logging railroaders!!! After spending so much time on my Resita loco, I’ll switch to a smaller scale project. I just started work on a new module for my Hon30 forestry railroad. I look forward to exhibit the layout again in March 2018, so it would be great to show something new. Once the module […]
Hello, the last work is done on the Resita and the loco is ready to run. Beside the paint on the cab, I added some last details as well, like the oil pump on the right hand cylinder or the sucker-pipe to take water. I used a white crayon to add the washed trim on […]
Hello again, this might be the forelast report until the Resita is finished. After the successful test runs under steam, I installed the RC-components. I use 4 channels for reverse gear, steam valve, whistle and brake. The brake was added subsequently, after I noticed that I need one to slow down the train on downward […]
I often read about the live steam hobby, that this is something for “old men”… Well, our little daughter (3) is too young to know about that, so she just enjoys, that she has fun with. Running dads live steam trains for example… I’m glad to have more than one live steam loco, so we […]
I’m totally in love with logging railroads, mostly for the worn out and cluttered look of the locos as well as the whole railroads. Clean and shiny museum railroad locos are missing the special flair and charm of the railroads when they are still in service back in the 80′ and 90′. So I grabbed […]