Well, the most work is done…
Since I got the landscape and flora done last week, I just finished the last huge step, detailing the sawmill-area. I also printed the name plate, which is shown in German here. There’s also an English version printed.
The stacks of boards and timbers are made from balsa wood and are glued board-by-board.
At least, there are some final touches necessary here and there as well as the backdrop. So the module will be ready for the show next week in Sinsheim/Germany 😉
the last week, I’ve build the weir for the water-wheel and added it to the canal. Since the time is running by very quick, I directly planted the trees to get the progress continue.
The next evening, I started with the bushes and grasses. It took some time to get the whole layout covered, but once I’m in the mood, it’s a relaxing and enjoyable work.
As on my other modules, I uses several foliage and grasses made by Woodland and Busch. So the new module matches perfectly to the rest of the layout.
another week has passed. I added the ballast to the tracks as well as basic green ground cover I use.
The ballast is spread out dry along the rails. I use a mixture of Noch model train ballast with sand and fine turfs. Once the ballast is done, I moisture everything with rubbing alcohol , which will crawl into the ballast, so the later added water/whiteglue-mixture will creep easier into the ballast.
At the turnout’s I use less ballast below the moving parts, to avoid mechanical issues. While the glue is setting, I test the movement of the turnout regularly.
While the glue on the ballast is still wet, I paint the landscape surrounding with water/whiteglue-mixture and add an earth-blend mixture of Woodland fine-turf as basic green groundcover. The fresh applied glue will also be sucked into the ballast and the applied turf will stick to the ballast sides as well. This creates a smooth and soft transition instead of a hard line.
Once everything is dry, I can start to install the sawmill with surrounding details.
See you next week 😉
Hello, another week has passed. Once the electrical stuff was done, I gave the rails an airbrush weathering and spend a light grey dry-brush to the sleepers. To raise the hills, I glued some layers of foam (used for house insulation) to the layout and cut them to shape. I use a wire-brush in the […]