Everything around my 5″ gauge logging railroad
end of august, I visited our live steam club layout. Since I had a few operation sessions with the Shay this year, I decided to run the Forney this time. At least, I struggled with some injector issues and after four laps, I had to pull the fire, since I was not able to top-up the boiler water.
Since I had some duty on our public ride trains, I got the chance to operate the K1 Garrat instead, which was built by a club member. This loco weights 380kg and is a real compound engine, build in 1:4.5 scale. The engine has a lot of power and is a real pleasure to run her with some heavy load. That’s close to real steam loco operation 😉
While driving home, I got an idea about the injector issues I had on the Forney. At home, I checked the injector steam valve and found some sealing material, which ran across the bore. This has limited the steam flow so the injector was not able to feed into the boiler. I had a quick steam-up the next day to check the injector again and it worked better now, but still not 100%.
After some days of thinking, I decided install new axle-driven water pumps (the old ones got removed some while ago due to issues). The injector only is finally a solution for short-distance runs as I had on my annual “big logging Show” on the live steam convention. But for long-distance runs, the axle-driven pumps will be the better choise, especially on the small boiler, which has not enough reserves to operate an injector while running under load.
I’ll post some updates once I get started with the new pumps.
after a long break, I visited our club layout with the new Moody Lumber Co. I had a supply and work-train with me, hauled by the Shay. The Shay improved very well, strong and powerful, while smooth running. Since I was the only loco on the inner loop, I could run very slow and do some switching on the line.
Usually, the tracks are not that crowded with weeds, but I really welcomed it for the nice “backwood-ish” photos above.
It was also nice to meet all the friends again, which I haven’t seen for several month. On the way back home, I got some ideas to make it easier to load and unload my family-van when going to such sessions. More to come in a couple of weeks.
Hello fellows, once upon a time, three roof slats decided to go and see the world behind the horizon. They liked to see other areas as well as taking on some serious task… They just got rid of being ordinary roof slats. No issue, the Moody Lumber Co. has its own car-carpentry 😉 First, the […]
Hi, during the children’s treat last week, the Shay proved her power and function during 8 hours of non-stop operation. As reported last week, the loco also showed some issues, which got solved in the meantime. The packing nut of the front cylinder was self-loosening, so I added locking screws to keep them in place. […]
Last Sunday, we host a big children’s treat in my home village in celebration of our 1250th anniversary. Beside several games and Böchingen’s well known cake buffet, my 5″-gauge live steam railroad became the highlight, not only for the kids. Many elder visitors were fascinated by the steam railroad as well as some of them […]
Hi folks, last week, I made a simple ramp-construction to get my 2″-scale Shay out of the workshop to the daylight. Since the derailment last year, which caused huge damage to the steam engine, the loco was steamed up for the first time on Thursday. The Shay worked well and there’s only one issue left, […]
Hello loggers, since the car roster is mostly done, it’s time to spend some attention to my Forney loco. Last year, I spend a rebuild to make her look “Maine style”, which doesn’t match the new logging approach anymore. The new logging Forney at the Moody Lumber Co. should be more solid ans sturdy and […]
Today I’ve a “fast project”. Last year, I build a new riding car to go with my Maine-style Forney, based on a typical tender. This car doesn’t fit well into the new logging railroad style, so I decided to repaint it into some kind of old tender, reused as water car on the logging railroad. […]
Hello loggers, it took me some time to make further progress on my Moody Lumber since I prepared my trolley layout for a show next weekend. Anyhow – here’s the next car for my new logging railroad. I rebuild my old boxcar into a Crew & Camp Car for my logging crew. First I updated […]
The next piece of Moody Lumber Co. roster has left the shops this week. It’s the logging caboose #7, which was rebuilt from the old BCRR-caboose. I removed the cupola and painted the car in brown. Since I had some 3D-printed handrails left, I spend them as well to finish the platforms. The interior was […]