First page of the Workreports archive.

[MLC] The tale of 3 roof-slats – building a new flat car

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 4 July 2017 with No Comments

Hello fellows,

once upon a time, three roof slats decided to go and see the world behind the horizon. They liked to see other areas as well as taking on some serious task… They just got rid of being ordinary roof slats.

No issue, the Moody Lumber Co. has its own car-carpentry 😉

First, the slats got a sight-seeing tour through the sawmill. They were so excited, that they took a ride through the big circular saw and ended in a bundle of timbers and boards.

Inside the  carpentry, several rows of holes were drilled in equal patterns and finally, the timbers found together as car body frame. To lock them in place, they were bolted with screws and glue.

Some metal parts from the foundry (home-depot) were added and the frame got a nice coat of paint to match the rolling stock at the MLC.

Once the paint got dry, the truss rods were added to the underside and the loading deck got nailed on top (and glued).

Once the road-number #6 is added, the car is ready for service on the Moody Lumber Co.

[MLC] Shay #1 is now ready for regular service

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 11 June 2017 with No Comments

Hi,

during the children’s treat last week, the Shay proved her power and function during 8 hours of non-stop operation. As reported last week, the loco also showed some issues, which got solved in the meantime.

The packing nut of the front cylinder was self-loosening, so I added locking screws to keep them in place.

Some more effort was the fix to the main engine bracket. One leg was loose and while silver-soldering failed in the first attempt, I welded the parts together (I’m not the best on the welder). Anyhow, now the bracket is strong and sturdy again. Another reason for the dancing cylinder was a missing screw, which holds them to the cylinder columns…

Finally the loco is now back in full operational condition and I look forward to get her into service on one of the club layouts around. As the last photo shows, I removed the winch, since I don’t use her much and I like the loco some more in it’s “typical” Shay look.

Gerd

[MLC] Logging Forney #2

Posted by Gerd on Saturday, 25 March 2017 with No Comments

Hello loggers, since the car roster is mostly done, it’s time to spend some attention to my Forney loco. Last year, I spend a rebuild to make her look “Maine style”, which doesn’t match the new logging approach anymore. The new logging Forney at the Moody Lumber Co. should be more solid ans sturdy and […]

[MLC] Water Car #3 (Riding car)

Posted by Gerd on Wednesday, 8 March 2017 with No Comments

Today I’ve a “fast project”. Last year, I build a new riding car to go with my Maine-style Forney, based on a typical tender. This car doesn’t fit well into the new logging railroad style, so I decided to repaint it into some kind of old tender, reused as water car on the logging railroad. […]

[MLC] Crew & Camp Car #5

Posted by Gerd on Monday, 6 March 2017 with No Comments

Hello loggers, it took me some time to make further progress on my Moody Lumber since I prepared my trolley layout for a show next weekend. Anyhow – here’s the next car for my new logging railroad. I rebuild my old boxcar into a Crew & Camp Car for my logging crew. First I updated […]

[MLC] Logging Caboose #7

Posted by Gerd on Saturday, 18 February 2017 with No Comments

The next piece of Moody Lumber Co. roster has left the shops this week. It’s the logging caboose #7, which was rebuilt from the old BCRR-caboose. I removed the cupola and painted the car in brown. Since I had some 3D-printed handrails left, I spend them as well to finish the platforms. The interior was […]

[MLC] Tool & Work Car #4

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 14 February 2017 with No Comments

Hello again, my new Moody Lumber Co. was a bit boring with the Shay and disconnect log cars only. So I finished the Tool & Work Car #4 to go along with them. The car was already rebuilt last year, to sit on top of one disconnect log car pair. So I removed the old […]

[BCRR] – Assembling the trucks

Posted by Gerd on Monday, 22 August 2016 with No Comments

Last weekend, I assembled the trucks from 272 parts each. It took me arround 10 to 15 minutes for each truck. The more I finished, the faster I got. And here are the trucks in detail. The first step into my new freight cars is done. I’ll exhibit my H0m trolley line layout on September […]

[BCRR] – Bolster pre-assembling

Posted by Gerd on Saturday, 20 August 2016 with No Comments

With the last bits done, it’s time to pre-assemble the truck bolsters for painting. I decided to glue the spring plank between the sides and to get a tight bound, I’ll glue them before painting. To insert the springs, I’ll make the lower plank removable, but put them in place to get the bolster glued […]

[BCRR] – Testing my 3D-printed journal boxes.

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 19 August 2016 with No Comments

I got some questions about the strength and durability of my 3D-printed journal boxes, which I use on my archbar trucks. Here’s what I found out…